Monday, January 2, 2012

A Long Time Coming

This is my first entry into what I hope becomes a series of reflections on being a 30-something in today's modern society. There are so many questions and thoughts I have on this magic number. Why has so much pressure been placed on this royal prime decade of 30. What's so great about it? Why have we been convinced that all great things must happen by the time we turn 30? Or, that if we have not accomplished certain things by this magical age, we're failures. And by certain achievements I mean, marriage, career success, family bliss, home-owning and the like. Somehow all these major life experiences are supposed to manifest themselves in the age of the three O. I will say, major life experiences have occurred but not necessarily what I expected. Now, is that because I'm 30 or because that's life? I'm still waiting for a few of the traditional, more conventional expectations to appear, but will they? and in what order?

I'm gonna figure this mystery out. I hope you will come along for the ride.

6 comments:

  1. So proud of your Blog Mary!!! As a "30 something" myself I will be hitting this blog daily. I'll share it with all my friends so they can check it out! LOVE YOU!! -BRANDON

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start! Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Mary. I will definitely share your blog with my friends. I really do think some of us put too much pressure on ourselves if we dont accomplish certain things i.e. marriage, owning a home, etc. by a certain age. Life happens, but if you stick with your goals and work hard I believe they will come to fruition. Keep up the good work Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, I would like to say that I am a friend of Gladwin's...which is how I came acoss your blog! Turning the big 3-0 definitely came with a lot pressure....at first! What I have learned is that timing is everything!! I look forward to keeping up with your blog and sharing thoughts and ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary:
    When I was turning 30, it was expected that you have all your kids, buy a house, get into law school however the economic situation was much different then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, today's economic situation has definitely impacted how people view their future, but oddly the expectations of success haven't changed much. We are a generation who was raised on the dreams of the Baby Boomers and those dreams, turned values, turned expectations, still rule our ever-changing world ... how will we adapt? only time will tell. thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete