Sunday, January 22, 2012

Recognition vs. Acknowledgement; there is a difference

Sorry, I forgot to post last week. I was celebrating the life of my Aunt Betty. Her life was definitely being recognized for greatness. I always acknowledged that she was a beautiful woman.

Recognition and acknowledgment are often used interchangeably, but I believe there is a slight difference. Although I think that slang phrase "You betta recognize!," is much cooler than you betta acknowledge, right?

Recognition: 
1. a. the action of recognizing
Which means, to acknowledge formally; to take notice in some definitive way; to perceive to be something
Acknowledgement:
1. a. the act of acknowledging
Which means, to recognize the right; to disclose knowledge of or agreement; to express gratitude of something

I feel like recognition is much more about pomp and circumstance for others to see that someone or something was or wasn't, and acknowledgment is a more personal realization between one or more people that something is either right or wrong, great or stupid.
In school recognition was necessary for all to see what we had accomplished; graduations, degrees, skills.
In a relationship, when someone makes a huge mistake that rocks your world, you would hope that person would acknowledge the error of their ways.
In the workplace, I don't think the worker bees expect to be recognized with a prize on the daily when they do their job, but when they go the extra mile acknowledgment, sometimes, is all people want.
In life, don't we all want to be to be scene and heard and thought of as adding value?

The big question is will we?

What kind of validation do we need in our daily lives, and is that good or bad? Should we even care to be validated?

1 comment:

  1. Yes I think everyone needs to be recognized and feel a sense of validation. This I believe drives us to do and be better in the workplace, and with our relationships.

    ReplyDelete